Daniel and I are going to Europe for a friends wedding this week, leaving in approximately 4 hours! I just finished our Part II tax credit application for the house and wanted to share a few photos of last weeks progress before we go. Framing efforts have been underway for the past few weeks, including replacement of the floor joists, installation of new subfloor, and framing of exterior and interior walls. We decided to reframe the interior walls entirely in order to use the barge board for exterior repairs of termite damaged areas. We also replaced the 2×2 batten strips of the exterior walls with new 2×4 framing, allowing us to get straight interior walls and stabilize the structure. Prior to installing the subfloor, the plumbing subcontractor installed all underground and crawl space drains with vent lines. In the meantime, Daniel collected all of our salvaged elements (per the last post) and brought these to stripease – a shop specializing in paint removal. The same shop will also be making some repairs to the existing shutters, providing salvaged replacement shutters for our missing sets and fabricating window frames to match. Here are some photos:
plumbing drain and vent lines for the vanities.
tie in to existing plumbing line. we had a plumbing inspection done prior to purchasing the house to make sure the main line was in good shape for us to tie into. Replacing the main line would have been a large unforeseen cost – luckily ours was in excellent shape.
the house prior to new framing efforts.
we finally removed all the plaster from the front fireplace! I think it is safe to say that demolition is complete.
view into attic from below – the decking material was in bad shape and had to be removed. We will install plywood subfloor over the kitchen and bathroom to support the rooms above. The existing 3″x6″ ceiling joists will be replaced by 2x10s to support the new load.
pile of salvaged barge board.
Daniel’s organization skills – he bundled up all the trim materials and labeled them with linear foot numbers prior to bringing them to stripease for paint removal.
more bundles of salvaged material.
Daniel has been storing the salvaged building materials at his shop – including shutters, exterior doors, and window sash. The shutters and exterior doors will be sent to stripease to remove the lead paint.
View from within the house looking towards the back yard.
view from the back yard.
we have to stay one step ahead of the contractor to avoid delays. here is our sketch for the lighting, data and outlet arrangements which may get installed while we are away.